[ale] OT: Hard drive errors

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 26 19:42:18 EST 2010

On 02/26/2010 07:07 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Anyone know if the error counts that can be retrieved from the
> individual drives with the Palimpsest Disk Utilities get reset on power
> off or are they cumulative? I'm interested in the Read Error Rate, Seek
> Error Rate, High Fly Write, and Hardware ECC Recovered counts. Also what
> is the max count each register can hold?
>
> I'm kind of concerned with my Seagate drives all seem to have high
> numbers in these areas, but the WDs are all 0

Every drive that I am aware of persists the values even across full
power-cycles.  That said, it would not surprise me if there were drives
that did not---as I understand it, not all drive vendors (even not all
drives from a single vendor) treat all aspects of SMART in the same way.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475