[ale] Home Data Server Project

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 19:00:52 EST 2010

If the cables all go to the outside WAN service, yes a router will sit
between all the cable ends.

If there is already a single connection router then what you need is just a
switch. Make sure you are running cat5e at the minimum. Cat6 is OK but
harder to install. You can get a gig switch now for just a few $$ more than
a 100Mb one. Fast home LAN make happy spouses :-)

Also plop in a wireless AP for wandering around with a laptop. Set the AP
OUTSIDE your firewall and set up either vpn or ssh tunnels back into the LAN
for file and printer access. That way you can get the same stuff from
anywhere you have net access.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thnak u all for the input. I didn't think about the heat. The wife and I
> talked and we decided that we should drop cable where the phone lines are
> and then we could put the server somewhere cool.
>
> With that said, if we dropped wire from the roof then we'd have to punch
> them all into a router, right!?
>
> I'm
>
> On Feb 26, 2010 11:30 AM, "Chris Fowler" <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 10:37 -0500, drifter wrote:
> > Temperatures in a well ventilated attic in the s...
> A few years ago I tested a temp sensor we built by placing it in my
> attic.  I had CAT-5 running down to my office into a serial port and was
> using a perl program and rrdtool to see the results.  In summer around
> noon the peak temp was a little above 115F.  Not a place I would want to
> store any equipment.

James P. Kinney III