[ale] OT: Firefox just keeps reloading GMail

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Feb 26 01:38:34 EST 2010

On 2/25/2010 10:42 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 07:21 PM, JK wrote:
>> On 2/24/2010 12:36 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>>
>>> That said, I don't know that I'll switch back even after Firefox adopts
>>> the multiprocess structure that Chrome has started with.  The UI in
>>> Chrome is so small and light that Firefox just looks bulky to me.
>>
>> I just installed Chrome for the first time; had been avoiding it for a
>> while now, due to being set in my Firefoxy ways.
>>
>> My first impression was holycrapthisthingisreallyfast.  Wait'll I
>> have 15 or 20 tabs open, though.
>
> Shouldn't make a difference; the browser chrome (heh) runs in a process
> of its own, and each tab also runs in its own process, so it's not like
> there is any scheduling issues---the OS schedules all of the components
> preemptively, since they're all full, standalone processes.  Plugins
> also get their own processes, so when plugins crash, the browser
> continues to run.

Yeah.  The performance issues hit when plugins *don't* crash, but
instead successfully run their endless Flash nonsense on fifty
different tabs at once.

Honestly, plugins crashing has never been a problem for me with FF.

I've got 15 tabs open in Chrome right now and it's reasonably
snappy, still. Sometimes FF can eat 80 or 90% of my CPU, and I'm
seeing nothing like that.  Though I just had to wait about 8 seconds
for a Slashdot page to display when I switched to its tab (I'd already
loaded the page hours ago).

-- JK

--
We Americans are a freedom-loving people, and nothing says "freedom"
like Getting Away With It. -- Guy Forsyth, "Long Long Time"