[ale] SugarCRM Schema

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Feb 25 11:45:23 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 10:27 -0600, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> We used ACT! a long time ago and migrated to SugarCRM Pro. We paid
> someone to do the conversion for us. I wouldn't even want to know the
> PITA that Chris is experiencing.

I think in the end I'll spend more time on research then the actual
import.  I've got a program called Exporter ($250) that will export the
ACT! database from SQL Server to separate CSV files.

> ACT! is a great tool, but every version became slower to the point of
> being unusable, at least for us. We're very happy with SugarCRM Pro.
> It is much more functional, especially for automation and workflow,
> than the free Community Edition version (SugarCRM CE).

.NET and SQL Server is the cause.

I had one user whose laptop was so slow that SQL Server would have a
problem starting and ACT! could not connect.  I had to teach him how to
go into Services in XP and start SQL Server manually before he started
ACT!.

This version of SQL Server is some single-user client version for
applications.  It did not even come with a client that would allow me to
execute SQL against the database.  The Exporter uses something called
'OLE DB' to connect to it.

> The only caveat is that using the SugarCRM web-based frontend can be a
> serious pain, but it's still better than ACT!.

My only concern is that we have 1000s of records so I hope the front end
has some way of managing all that data.