[ale] OT: Firefox just keeps reloading GMail

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Feb 24 14:36:42 EST 2010

On 02/24/2010 09:25 AM, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> On the topic of Firefox, has anyone dropped it for Chrome? I love
> Firefox except for the fact that it is DOG SLOW. Sure, I have some
> add-ons installed, but I'm starting to think that if I have to speed
> up Firefox by removing the add-ons, I might as well drop it and go
> with Chrome since it's supposed to be so fast. Heck, even IE would be
> an option at that point since it's faster on Windows.

I have.  Though the reason that I switched from Firefox wasn't
speed---it was the multiprocess structure around which Chrome is so
wonderfully designed.  I absolutely *love* that when plugins crash, the
browser doesn't go with it, or that if one Web site makes a tab crash,
the rest of the browser stays up and running.

I'm not saying I love plugins that crash (*cough*Flash*cough*) nor the
sites that house crap dependent on those plugins (*cough*O'Reilly
Safari*cough*).  But the fact that I don't lose all my state and have to
suffer a browser restart?  Total, absolute win.

The fact that the VM it uses to run JavaScript is significantly faster
is a good side effect of my decision to use Chrome, though.  The only
thing that I haven't found a replacement for is the Firefox Web
Developer extension.

That said, I don't know that I'll switch back even after Firefox adopts
the multiprocess structure that Chrome has started with.  The UI in
Chrome is so small and light that Firefox just looks bulky to me.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475