[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Feb 23 08:56:13 EST 2010

Funny the talk about bank transfers.  We do a fair amount of them are
amazed at how many of them want us to just allow ftp in clear text.  We
don't.   We force them to use sftp if possible or at least pgp encrypt
the files that we pick up with ftp (we don't let them ftp into us).
That way if someone does get the ftp information or does a man in the
middle attack they end up with gobbledygook.   What's really scary is
how many of them seem to know so little about pgp and sftp.  On occasion
we do get a suggestion of ftps but we don't do that.

PCI is making folks more conscious of security for Credit/Debit cards
(PCI = Payment Card Industry) but doesn't address things like lockboxes
and other transmittals not related to bank cards.