[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 16:32:33 EST 2010

On 02/22/2010 09:10 AM, Avery Ceo wrote:

> I pulled the number off their web site
> -http://www.secretservice.gov/field_offices.shtml .  Atlanta field
> office number is (404) 331-6111.  As for how late is too late, it can't
> see how it would hurt to give them the information and let them decide.
>
> Avery

Just spoke to SS and the agent informed me that in most cases if the
fraudulent purchases are done online then the info more than likely was
obtained from an online merchant. Even reputable merchants are possible
sources. I mentioned Amazon and she seemed to catch herself and had
started to say something like a recent investigation showed employees at
Am and then she corrected herself and said a reputable merchant that
never had any prior situations. She also stated that a recent case
involved a ring of people that all worked for different banks who had
access to info including assigned CVVs. I had also asked her about
services like PayPal and Revolution MoneyExchange and she had indicated
that there was an active case on them, that even though the card does
not have your info, a person at the right place and right access does
and can put the pieces together to access your money beyond the $2500.
After hanging up I started thinking about building a cement bunker and
put all my money there. No banks, no plastic.