[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 08:49:17 EST 2010

On 02/20/2010 07:21 AM, Avery Ceo wrote:
> Having just been through this, a couple of points:
>
> 1)  Federal law DOES cover debit cards as well.  As others noted,
> though, you have to get the money back from the bank rather than the
> other way around.  That can leave you flat broke until your next
> paycheck comes in.

ING DIrect once aware of the situation give customer a temporary loan to
cover the overage for the period of the investigation to prevent
overdraft. This loan is interest free during the investigation, if it
turns against your favour I believe that it becomes a regular loan with
interest charged.

> 2) You won't get local police to investigate.  If you have something
> solid, however, there is someone who will.  Believe it or not, primary
> investigative jurisdiction on "access device fraud - including credit
> and debit cards falls, to the Secret Service.  We called them directly,
> and they were very happy for the info we were able to give them.  The
> faster you move to call them, the better chance they have - cameras, etc.

How? Do you think it's too late for me to contact Secret Service?