[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Fri Feb 19 23:07:21 EST 2010

There are prepaid debit cards available though the last time I looked at
those the fees were ridiculous.   There are also prepaid credit cards in
the world where you essentially deposit money in an account and that is
used as your limit for the card.

Of course you could always use cash instead of the debit card.

I never use a debit card for anything except ATM withdrawals - CC is the
way to go.   You have a chance to address fraud before you pay a CC bill
where with a debit card the money goes directly out of your account.
Add to that the evil of multiple overdraft fees even for innocent
overdrafts let alone this kind of fraud and you'll see using a debit
card is a really bad idea.
Also Federal law covers you liability for Credit Card fraud but only
bank policy covers it for Debit Card fraud.  Me I'm not willing to trust
in the good will of banks for my peace of mind on the latter.