[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards

Fri Feb 19 21:58:24 EST 2010

Agreed. Additionally, if you have a strong suspicion of a single
restaurant, offer to you bank to do a sting operation. Get a special
card that you fund and only ever use there. If they can catch the
small fish, they can pressure h[iemr]{2} to expose more of the chain.

Seriously though; Whatever it takes to get another card to use that is
not connected to your checking account... do it. When you get
victimized, you want the bank begging you for the money and you saying
"no, prove it." With a debit card, it's the other way around.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wherever you've been eating out, stop going and warn everyone you know and
> alert the bank and home office if it's a chain restaurant. That's the most
> likely place to loose sight of the card.
>
> On Feb 19, 2010 6:56 PM, "Scott Castaline" <skotchman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Got a question for you security and forensic types. My debit card was
> once again cloned. As a routine I usually check my bank(s) online at
> night and again in the morning. Last night all was good, this morning I
> found that I had bought several Crackberrys and a lot of sportswear as
> well as a surfboard. After spending about 6 hours trying to make sense
> of it all, all but one company had held the orders as possible fraud.
> These orders were done online and a few were well known named big box or
> large shopping centre companies. The big named companies confirmed that
> all credit info matched including the security code on the back of the
> card. They also traced the orders back to an IP coming through NYC via
> Roadrunner's Broadband Service. Ok my questions:
>
> 1. The number on the back of the card usually a 3 digit number, is that
> on the magnetic strip?
> 2. Even with IP and MAC masquerading, is it possible to actually trace
> it down to the perp?
> 3. Is there also a way to find where the card info was scanned?
>
> Since this is my second time as a victim in less than a year, I would
> really like to pursue it as far as I can go. Local PD just writes it
> off, but if I could give them something solid, maybe they might act. I
> have my suspicions, but posting them would probably make me look racist,
> which I wasn't, but.... Also in all cases the same name was used address
> and phone # for delivery. When I google the name (Joanne Salter) I found
> one person who lives in Great Britain and is a movie production hair
> stylist, and another on in West Fargo, ND. The address used is in Ulem,
> MN and the phone number traced as an unlisted number somewhere in IN.

.!# RichardBronosky #!.