[ale] OT: DeKalb Sets Public Meeting On Comcast

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Thu Feb 18 17:12:00 EST 2010

My most recent fun with Comcast was when they sent me a "self install
kit" for HD TV.   It was a brand new box.  The document they included
with it was for a completely different model.  Talking to them on the
phone 3 nights in a row I got it to the point of showing me everything
except HD and On Demand (and a couple of minor channels).   They then
ended up sending a contractor to my home that couldn't get that box to
work or the one he brought with him.   He tells me he has to go to other
appointments and "will be back".  I told him "like hell".   He admitted
he had a DVR box so I made him escalate to his supervisor who told him
to put that in and disable DVR function.    It got the HD and On Demand
working but he didn't disable the DVR function.

Knowing what was likely coming next I purposefully made a point of NOT
using the DVR functions.   Sure enough I get my bill.  Not only had they
billed me for DVR service they'd also had the gall to charge me for
"failed self install" even though their own contractor couldn't get the
box working either.   To add insult to injury they charged me TWICE for
the "failed self install".

After some screaming they came out with yet another HD (non-DVR) box
with a somewhat brighter technician who had it up and running in about
30 seconds and took all the charges off my bill.  (Except maybe the
dollar they hadn't refunded the previous month when I'd pointed out
billing me $5/month for the modem I'd owned for 5 years seemed a tad
unreasonable - they had prorated the refund for no good reason -
something I'll bitch about on the next bill if it hasn't disappeared by
then.)

The most amusing part of the whole charade was that they didn't have
documentation for the model they sent me even at their offices.  If I'd
gotten that I'd probably been able to tell them what they were doing
wrong.