[ale] rpm.pbone.net

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Feb 17 09:51:12 EST 2010

Every distro chooses what to "include" based on purpose, philosophy
etc...

Fedora an RPM based distribution supported as a project by RedHat is
bleeding edge so will include a lot of things that are brand new.
However, they won't include some things that due to the way they are
licensed.

RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) which is a commercial distribution
directly supported by RedHat typically builds on "stable" versions of
products that have already been vetted in Fedora.   It will include some
things that Fedora doesn't.  It is designed for stability and long life
so typically they don't install the latest version of underlying
products (e.g. BIND) but rather backport bug and security fixes into the
base version they initially released.

CentOS is a binary build from RHEL sources so more or less has the same
philosophy as RHEL though isn't supported by RedHat.

RHEL has "base" repositories as well as "extended" repositories" (e.g.
virtualization and java packages come from the latter.)   Additionally
there are repositories for addons that RHEL doesn't officially include
that you can add such as the Extended RHEL repository that is actually
provided by Fedora project even though it is for RHEL.

However, there are some things that are not in any of the above.   There
are dozens of competing products for things like sound players, movie
players, systems monitoring and a plethora of other items that could not
possibly all be in any base distro without requiring it to ship with
dozens of DVDs.   These projects are typically supported by their own
teams (as is almost everything that IS included as well) on sites like
sourceforge or on their project pages.  Often they'll setup repositories
for use just to gain wider acceptance.  (And often they won't - I've run
across many a thing that builds deb packages but doesn't bother with
rpms and tells you to do it from source and others that don't do either
- they just provide a tarball of the source.)  Others have found certain
tools more widely useful than the people that run distros chose so have
set up their own repositories like Dag Weeirs.

Not having used Gentoo I can't really comment on its world except to say
that I doubt it has any all encompassing repository of every possible
OSS any more than RedHat style distributions do.