[ale] [OT] good FREE windisease anti-virus software

Avery Ceo avery.ceo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 01:34:37 EST 2010

ClamWin is going to be your only open source option, and my Windows clients
and family have been very happy with it on their desktop machines.  Since
this is a laptop, though, it  is important to note that it does NOT do
on-access scanning - only scheduled scans.  If she doesn't have the
discipline to leave it running overnight once a week or to run the scans
manually, it won't help her.  Some people used to combine it with WinPooch
to hack together an on-access scan, but WinPooch has been unmaintained for a
few years now.

For a full OSS solution, you could install anacron through cygwin.  Avast
would be the simpler solution but, as you said, it is closed source.

Avery