[ale] Anyone here who is good with kernel programming?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Feb 12 20:41:22 EST 2010

On 02/12/2010 08:26 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> use tar to create multiple .tar.bz2 files sized to fit in an iso format.
> pipe the tar output through ssh to the CD burner. use a local process to
> convert to iso image and burn on the fly using userspace tools.
>
> The issue will always be balancing network speed to burn speed. It would
> be best to have a way to make sure the file is received before the burn
> begins to avoid making a pile of coasters.

There won't be a network in the way, thankfully.  The burn is done and
then the discs will leave the building 50% of the time to be taken to a
second location.  This will be a monthly backup, and the guy likes to
see it done so it will always be done there.

That said, I think that the BSD behavior is insanely useful.  I'm
_quite_ sure that there are more applications of batch-output to a
write-once medium than I can come up with, considering that backups are
the only one I can think of at the moment.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                    Blog: http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Tel: (404) 592-5746 x1                            Email: mike at trausch.us