[ale] cars

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Fri Feb 12 12:21:05 EST 2010

drifter wrote:
> I have been driving for more than 45 years and have easily
> driven more than 1.5 million miles. Driven everything from
> mopeds to large trucks.
> I have been involved in only two accidents; both times I was
> rear ended while stopped at a stop light.
> My point is no matter how safe you are as a driver, sometimes
> you can't avoid being hit by idiots. So keep your insurance paid up
> and be CERTAIN to have an "uninsured motorist" rider on the policy.
> :)
> One lesson I taught both of my kids was to always hit any critter
> smaller than a full grown bull head on -- don't try to swerve, you'll
> just hit the damn oak tree. Doing that with a modern car is one thing --
> with a light-weight bicycle is another thing entirely, which is why I
> am not about to second guess Charles for trying to miss the stupid
> dog. :)

Reminds me of a story about a guy who was on his motorcycle with his
wife on the back.  A dog ran out in front of him and all he could do was
hit the dog straight on.  Front wheel went over the dog okay.  When the
back wheel hit, his wife was thrown forward and up.  She landed with one
leg over his shoulder, one around his side.  Both arms had a death grip
on his helmet.  Fortunately, he was able to pull over at which point his
wife was able to dismount..

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."