[ale] Cron issue with ubuntu-9.04 box

Mills John M-NPHW64 Jmills at motorola.com
Fri Feb 12 10:10:51 EST 2010

ALErs -

I'm trying to run a script as a daily 'cron' job but I'm not getting it launched.

The script entry works fine when placed in '/etc/cron.hourly' but not in '/etc/cron.daily'. I removed the 'anacron' invocation in '/etc/crontab's daily line and the corresponding line in '/etc/anacrontab' with no change. I hard-coded the script's call into '/etc/crontab/' with an hourly trigger and it ran fine. I did the same with a daily trigger and the job wasn't launched. I reran 'crontab' and even restarted the box, but no joy. Two questions:

1. Do any immediate suggestions come to mind?

2. How can I check the status of jobs that might or might not be run by 'cron'?

Thanks.

 - Mills