[ale] unusual global warming experiment

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Feb 11 16:55:50 EST 2010

On Thu February 11 2010, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> The problem with "reducing traffic" for those who can't telecommute is
> that it usually means "mass transit" which almost never gets you from
> start to finish.   When I lived in Houston and was dirt poor my job was
> 6 miles from home.  To get there via bus I'd have had to walk a mile,
> wait for a bus, go at the snail's pace the bus goes due to multiple
> stops, get off the bus and walk 1/2 mile to my job.   This says nothing
> about all the crazies you have to be exposed to at the stops and on the
> bus.

in DC, I rode a motorcycle to work for 15 years, all year round. the DC Metro
was only an option for those snowy days when riding wasn't healthy. For
Metro, it was a bus ride to the Metro station, then a metro train to the stop
2 blocks from my job. It took about the same time for either method, and my
motorcycle got 50 MPG and I could go a week for $3 in gas. Metro was $7 a day
round trip. Parking a car was totally out of the question, not because of
gas, but parking was $10 or more a day. And this was 20 years ago.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800