[ale] unusual global warming experiment

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 15:07:36 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:

>  You raise  an interesting point.
>
> Both my children went through Gwinnett County public schooling.  One is
> completing her BS in Physics (Dean's list)
> and enrolling in the PhD program in Physics at Ga tech.   The other is
> entering the CS BS program at Tech in the fall.
>
> However, both were in the gifted programs all through K-12.  As such, they
> were in classes with other smart kids.
> If somebody was overly disruptive, they simply got booted out of the gifted
> classes.     They only had a very few
> classes with the general prison population, and they readily admitted the
> differences in attitudes was stark.
>
> Ergo, one could propose a simply remedy for public education in this
> country, which would cost nothing:
>
>  A. As Shakespeare said, "First, we kill all the lawyers...".
> B. Each teacher gets to pick the two disruptive students in their class.
> C. Parents get to either:
>
> 1)  come to school and present how they are going to deal with their child,
> or
> 2) disruptive student is tossed out on their ear.
>
>                        2) Crappy parents are a) first offense - fined, b)
second offense - publicly flogged and students removed from their care

>  D. Rinse, lather, repeat.
>

> If teachers only had to teach students that were willing to learn, ya think
> we might do a better job of
> educating?
>

>From my experience with Atlanta Public Schools if teachers had something
they were interested in to teach, they could engage even the most horrid of
students. The good teachers I saw were interested in seeing the students
learn. The crappy ones were there collecting a paycheck and retirement
funds. The level of apathy toward the students abilities and interests was
nearly palpable. In many cases what passed for "teaching" was borderline
harassment and intimidation. It actually encouraged the hostile outbursts by
provoking a constant sense of frustration. It was all I could do to not drag
a few by the collar out to "the woodshed" for some "learning time".

> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 12:13 -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
>
> JK wrote:
> <snipped>
>  > I'll point out, though,
> > that your response did not address the substance of my question, which
> > was (to be more direct and less snarky): do you or do you not agree
> > that education is a general good that ought to be funded by society,
> > because it benefits everyone, either directly or indirectly?
>
> education should be encouraged as it is paramount for growth.  to that
> end how about those of us that care to have our children more challenged
> to higher standards being able to use our part of the contribution to
> directly fund our children?  as it stands it's a 'use it or lose it' thing.
>
> >(Setting aside the fact that it's also constitutionally mandated in the US.)
>
> a quick check of my pocket constitution and an online search shows me
> that there is no enumerated constitutional right to an education.  where
> do you see this?  Education is the responsibility of the parents and the
> local or state government.
>
> >>     I guess we should all be responsible for our own
> >> many places have community based volunteer fire departments that are
> >> very good.
> >

> > And they are funded how? I mean, who pays for the $2M pumper trucks
> > and so forth?
>
> we have fund raisers, auctions, etc.  it's really not uncommon in rural
> areas.
>
> <kidnapping excerpt snipped.  not from lack of caring, but because i
> thankfully have not frame of reference.  sympathies to the families>

James P. Kinney III