[ale] little math

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Feb 11 13:50:37 EST 2010

On 2/11/2010 11:35 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:

>     Doesn't Linux provide a character device for pseudo-random data?
>

> yep: /dev/urandom. It's a non-blocking psuedo-random generator. It
> recycles the entropy pool where as /dev/random will block until it gets
> more entropy.

Wow, it's surprising the OP was having such trouble getting enough data
to fill his disk.  If /dev/urandom is something akin to a linear
congruential RNG, I'd expect it to be way faster than necessary to
keep a SATA interface busy.

-- JK

--
We Americans are a freedom-loving people, and nothing says "freedom"
like Getting Away With It. -- Guy Forsyth, "Long Long Time"