[ale] unusual global warming experiment

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:49:05 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Dylan Northrup <docx at io.com> wrote:
> A long time ago, (11.02.10), in a galaxy far, far away, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
> :=fyi: I assume we all know the Himalayan Glaciers melting by 2035
> :=statement was not based on science at all.
>
> Well, technically it was based on popular science, but not rigorous science
> (it appeared in an article in the magazine New Scientist, not in a
> peer-reviewed science journal).

My understanding was they backtracked to the original source which was
an Indian scientist who made an off-the-cuff-comment during a phone
interview 10+ yrs ago.  I don't think he even knew he was the source
until recently.  He admits to not having done any research to support
his original statement.

regardless, here's a good image of the satellite measured temps (UAH)
for Jan 2010.

http://pielkeclimatesci.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/tltmonamg_5-2_201001.png?w=500&h=296

It shows lots of red (hot) areas and just a few blue (cold) areas.
We're in one of the blues.

Australia has some pink on the southern side, but mostly white (normal).

The really red area is north of Detroit up near the Arctic circle.

IF this keeps up, 2010 will be the hottest year globally since the
satellite record started in 1979.

I'd like AGW to be wrong, so I'm hoping that is not the case.  One
globally warm month doesn't mean much at all at this point.

Greg