[ale] unusual global warming experiment

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:26:16 EST 2010

JK wrote:
> You don't think people in Douglasville would benefit from an overall
> increase in the quality of life in the ATL metro area?  Less-crowded
> roads (whether they're using them to commute or just to play), less
> pollution, more greenspace?

the simple solution would be to ask them.  have the people vote on it.
most proponents of a plan like this wouldn't like the idea though.

> Do you also think that it's unfair to fund education from the general
> pool of property taxes  -- that parents should pay directly for their
> own kids' education, because obviously educating kids benefits no one
> but the kids?

so are we speaking about the funded education that has teachers
purchasing their own classroom supplies and graduation exam standards
being lowered?

i work overtime and an extra job just so i can send my daughter to a
private school.  the curriculum there is far more than offered in the
public school, so are you slighting me for doing this?

   I guess we should all be responsible for our own
> fire-management too -- I've never used the fire department, why
> should I have to pay for it? </snark>

many places have community based volunteer fire departments that are
very good.

> The no-government-no-taxes folks should try living in my close neighbor
> city, Cd Juarez Chihuahua, for a taste of what it's like when government
> services are slim to non-existent; and those that exist, endemically
> corrupted by free-market forces.  It is not at all a nice place.

corruption is not limited to free-market.