[ale] little math

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 10:29:06 EST 2010

On 02/11/2010 10:05 AM, Geoffrey wrote:
> Boris Borisov wrote:
>>   Why you just not create small file ( 2 MB ) with random data and dd it
>> to the disk. dd ~/random.file>  /dev/hda.. Never tried but won't call
>> CPU to calculate every random number. Must be random enough.
>
> The randomness of such a solution is, a, not random?  You'd simply be
> repeating that same data, hence not random.  Which returns me to my
> original question, why is random data necessary?  Why not just write nulls?

Because I believe all you're getting is EOF. So you'd be getting, in my
case, 1TB of EOFs. Not much randomness. It's my understanding that by
filling the device with random data when you create the encrypted volume
someone trying to crack it would have trouble "seeing where the valid
data starts and ends. I think of it as an old school chalk board that
gets heavily used but never washed. Eventually it's hard to read the
written stuff because of all the remnants of stuff written on it in the
past and erased.