[ale] unusual global warming experiment

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Thu Feb 11 08:41:35 EST 2010

Snowfall is not an indicator of temperatures, necessarily. Rather it's a
better indicator of the jet stream, ocean temperatures and currents
(think, el Nino). Most of the tundra of Alaska and Canada is actually
desert, it receives very little precipitation. However, with less ice in
the Arctic waters, more can evaporate causing more snow. As residents of
the Midwest can tell you, the amount of snow on your front door tells
you more about the prevailing wind and where you live in relation to the
Great Lakes than the temperature outside.

Much of the snow, iirc, in the Eastern US is caused by el Nino and a
much stronger southerly jet stream which is carrying weather systems
further south than usual. Much of the snow on the ground came from
warmer Pacific waters and the Gulf of Mexico. And, as I mentioned
before, snow in your neighborhood, doesn't mean snow in places it
usually occurs, like Vancouver.

"
Kirk Mellish's Weather
Commentary

El Nino powered jet stream puts weather in the news"

http://wsbradio.com/blogs/kirk_mellishs_weather_commentary/2010/01/el-nino-powered-jet-stream-put.html

regards,
William