[ale] unusual global warming experiment

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Feb 11 07:26:04 EST 2010

wolf at wolfhalton.info wrote:
> The whole argument is like assuming trends in the value of stocks by
> their daily up-ticks and down-ticks.
> People are being very reactive to global warming as if they are going to
> be punished when daddy gets home.
> "No sir! I didn't cause no global warming.  Look, it snowed in New England!"
>
> It may be too late to reverse the trend, even though we could reduce
> greenhouse gasses by shuttering the factory feedlot operations that get
> us inexpensive beef.  Even though it may be too late, we can still
> refrain from making it worse   by learning to eat one less burger per
> week.  The ship may be sinking, but at least you can stop opening
> windows below the water line.
> The entire history of humanity has been a string of "how we deal with
> the unanticipated consequences of our decisions," including technical
> advances and distribution systems.
>
> Most of the pollution around cities is caused by factory stacks,
> specifically the burning of coal, but the spin magicians make it the
> "fault of the masses" by saying we can solve those emission geysers by
> reducing the emissions of cars.

I'd like to see data on this.  I for one think that we need to figure
out that the solution to traffic is NOT laying another two or three
lanes on I75.  I think our transportation technology is 100 years
behind.  Certainly we can come up with better transportation solutions?
  I'm not disagreeing with your point, I just see the growth of traffic
and wonder where the hell we are headed with this.  When will people
finally say enough is enough and give up on the 2 hour one way commute?

Certainly, if we could reduce the traffic impact, it would help with the
overall problem?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."