[ale] unusual global warming experiment

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Feb 11 02:27:27 EST 2010

On 2/10/2010 4:30 PM, William Fragakis wrote:

> and before anyone points out the snow in the NE

This has always struck me as a strange piece of evidence to deploy
against the concept of global warming.  GW involves adding energy to
(or trapping more energy within) a *chaotic system*.  The consequences
of that are damned hard to anticipate, and certainly needn't be
obvious or intuitive.  If anything, I'd expect the usual fluctuations
to get more dramatic -- hotter summers, sure, but also colder winters;
increasing amplitude of variation. (But even that is facile and,
admittedly, almost totally uninformed.) Point is, "Look, more snow!"
is by no means a slam-dunk refutation of GW, regardless of whether
someone somewhere else can point and say "Look, less snow!"

-- JK

--
We Americans are a freedom-loving people, and nothing says "freedom"
like Getting Away With It. -- Guy Forsyth, "Long Long Time"