[ale] A little math

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 23:39:38 EST 2010

On 02/10/2010 11:01 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
> On 02/10/2010 10:43 PM, scott boss wrote:
>> If you write something other than /dev/random (or urandom) then it
>> will go much master.
>>
>> If you want to wipe the drive with random data, I have a better option
>> for you...
>
> If you like, I'll send you a patch to drivers/char/mem.c that creates
> /dev/four. Whenever you read it, it returns four. This was chosen by a
> fair dice roll and is guaranteed to be random.

so basically i would "dd if=/dev/four of=/dev/sd?", or am i missing
something? I might try the wipedisk software I've got, I think it's
DBAN, there maybe a random option there that might be faster than
if=/dev/urandom. I'll try it on the 500GB I pulled as I'll be combining
that one with another 500GB LUKS/LVM drive.