[ale] Adding Raid 1 After The Fact

gene.poole at macys.com gene.poole at macys.com
Mon Feb 8 13:16:40 EST 2010

List,

Sometime ago I asked whether or not Raid 1 could be added to a system with
CentOS 5.3 already installed and running.  Well this one of the answers I
found, and the answer that I used:

http://www.howtoforge.org/how-to-set-up-software-raid1-on-a-running-lvm-system-incl-grub-configuration-centos-5.3

The entire document is 4 pages long and quite detailed.  But you must
modify it to your implementation, specifically if you do not use the
default partitioning scheme.  Here are some caveats that may not be listed
in the document:

If you perform this process, I would do it at the server console.
Be sure that the situation is stable, a surprise re-boot may have you
pulling out your hair (except for me, I don't have any).
If you have a non-production machine, try it there first.
Document everything, and I mean every fdisk -l; pvs; vgs; and lvs.  In
other words, know your environment completely.
I would print and read the document before starting.

I know this because I messed up my test machine 3-times, but in the end my
production machine went perfectly.

Thanks,
Gene Poole