[ale] fedora OOPS

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sun Feb 7 13:16:13 EST 2010

well, I thought ( idle hands..) that I would install fedora 12 on my laptop,
dual-boot with my existing XP, replacing ubuntu. This is an older Dell
laptop, that had a dell partition /dev/sda2, XP NTFS partition, /dev/sda3,
and linux / & /home & /swap partitions, /dev/sda5-6-7.

SOOooo, after trying out the fedora liveCD, it gives me this Your drive needs
to be reinitialized, WARNING, you may lose your data.. googling, I THOUGHT
this would be non-destructive UNTIL you get to the actual partitioning
menu... WRONG. when it got to that menu, it showed my entire 98Gb drive as
being freespace. I cancelled out, rebooted, and... grub-rescue, no OS.. no
joy..
parted doesn't show anything either. I don't have a ghost image, I DO have
backups, but, is there anything else that I could run that MIGHT be able to
rebuild it the way it was? I can't believe fedora would actually initialize a
drive that had DATA on it..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800