[ale] Fedora or Centos - which is more relevant for someone wanting Red Hat experience today?

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Fri Feb 5 16:02:07 EST 2010

Ditto what everyone else is saying.   We use RHEL for commercial
purposes here and I have a CentOS workstation and don't see enough
differences to matter.  For your purposes CentOS is the way to go.

CentOS on the other hand is a binary compile of RHEL sources as stated
by others.

However, others are incorrect in saying Fedora is a RHEL wannabe.
Fedora is a bleeding edge distro and its development is supported by
RedHat.   Most things that end up in RHEL originally were tested in
Fedora but not everything that was put in Fedora ends up in RHEL.  It's
a good OS if you like trying the latest greatest but not one you'd want
to use in Production unless you like the idea of having to upgrade a
couple of times a year.

All 3 have similarities because of the relationship (mainly in admin
tools) but RHEL and CentOS of the same version are the closest to each
other.   Fedora versions are released much more frequently so where both
RHEL and CentOS are currently up to release 5.4 Fedora is up to Release
12.

On a final note:  CentOS has an extended repository available.  If you
use that then you'll be different from RHEL so for your purposes you
shouldn't - just use the default CentOS repositories.