[ale] Fedora or Centos - which is more relevant for someone wanting Red Hat experience today?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Feb 5 15:20:50 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 19:52 +0000, brian.schenken at gmail.com wrote:
> Hiya folks,
>
> My work may be sending my team out for Red Hat certs this year, so
> I've decided I'll get a head start by playing around with the closest
> (free) distribution I can. (Ubuntu cured me of distro-hopping a few
> years back so my experience is a bit out dated.)

> I'm looking for something that will install, be updated and
> maintained, and host applications/services in the most redhatty
> fashion possible...

> If any of you work with Red Hat professionally and/or have recent
> experience with these distros - would you offer me your opinion?

Closest to RHEL?  CentOS, very definitely.  Versioning is a direct
matchup and they rebuild from the RHEL sources.  Anything that runs on
RHEL should run on CentOS.  Fedora is what a RHEL release may eventually
be based on.  Right now, it looks like RHEL 6 will be somewhat sort of
based on Fedora 12 or maybe Fedora 13, even though there's not an exact
equivalency.  The flavor of Fedora that RHEL 5 is based on isn't even
supported by Fedora.

> Thanks muchly, and have an awesome weekend!
>
> Brian

Regards,
Mike