[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Thu Feb 4 20:04:30 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 09:52 -0500, Brian MacLeod wrote:

For actively used files that I need backed up, I'm using Dropbox.  I've

> gone ahead and bought the 50GB account and am loving it.  I like that
> tying my work desktop (Mac, with Windows & CentOS VMs also tied to the
> account), home desktop (Mac), work laptop (Mac), and personal laptop
> (Fedora and Windows to make TSA happy) gives me quick access to my
> important files even if I lose one of those machines, AND, if the
> Dropbox service dies, the machines still have their copies of the data.
>  I've perused the website function, and can get a previous copy of a
> file up to thirty days ago.
>
> As for the more static/archival type of storage, I'm still working on
> that.  I have been thinking of setting up some type of distributed
> system between my family in NY and here, especially since the fiancée
> has a huge download habit (Vietnamese subtitled Asian programs).
>

> Brian

Not to provoke any argument here; I've found it very useful to make very
clear distinctions between personal data that is not anywhere else in
the world, such as video, pictures, audio recordings the band has made,
versus stuff that could readily be replaced, such as mp3 files of CD's
which I own or my son owns.   Or ISO files of the last dozen versions of
Fedora or Ubuntu.   Or the last year of Max Headroom.  Or...

Such as there are separate mount points for the crap that could readily
be replaced.    This cuts down on the volume immensely of what truly has
to get backed up.

In your case, isn't it slightly insane to be storing a backup in the
cloud of stuff you fiancee has downloaded...from the cloud?

Regards,

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd.