[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:40:39 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That should of course work, but if you ever have a disk crash and need
>> to pull it all back it can be a pain.
>
> Yes, but a scriptable one.
>
> With duplicity I don't think it would be a pain at all, though.
>
> But I like your suggestion, too.  It seems to spend more (local)
> disk space in return for easier restores.

I backup several hundred GB across a T-1 to a provider in the cloud.
By pain I meant days or weeks of time to get the data back out of the
cloud.  It took me that long to get it out there.  Fortunately rsync
is extremely efficient with stable data so I only have to send a
couple GB or less of new data out each day, so the T-1 is not an issue
for my routine backups, but restores would really be a mess.

And yes, I use more local resources but disk drives are pretty cheap
these days.  I just have a dedicated raid-1 pair to hold the local
backup repo.

Greg