[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Feb 4 16:23:02 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:
> Oy, I apologize for my previous reply. I completely mis-understood
> your message, Ed.

Hey, no problem!

I think I wasn't particularly clear, but I think that
David Tomaschik knew what I had in mind when
he recommended duplicity, so I'll check that out.

In a nutshell, if I have unecnrypted files in /foo that
I want to backup to a remote host, "tom", where I
want encrypted backups to live, I was imagining
something like this (with hypothetical fuse filesystem
"cryptview"):

  $ ls /foo
  secret.txt
  $ mount -t cryptview -o dir=/foo cryptview /foox
  $ ls /foox
  secret.txt.gpg
... or maybe even,
  xa38wvbasxei.gpg
  $ rdiff-backup /foox tom::/ecashin-stuff
  $ ssh tom
  tom$ ls /ecashin-stuff
  xa38wvbasxei.gpg

--