[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:55:15 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Never underestimate the bandwidth of a minivan loaded with back up tapes!
>
> You know, the original of that is:
>
> Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon loaded with back up
> tapes!
>
> Originally coined prior to the minivan era...

Heh, heh :-) I had to update the moniker to be more current. My SUV has more
internal space than a 1970's stationwagon. The old "minivan" was cavernous
compared to the SUV.

ALE'er Jeff Hubbs told me of a situation once he was on where it was cheaper
and more expedient for him to grab a spare system and some external hard
drives, drive 3 states away, do a data drop to the drives and return to
Atlanta than to obtain enough bandwidth to transfer the data in less time
than the 3 state driving process.

It's a strange world we live in.
James P. Kinney III