[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Thu Feb 4 10:40:13 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:

> <snip>

None of that would be pertinent to the
> question of why one would want an encrypted view of a clear local
> filesystem.
> If the objective is to secure the data stream in transit, then the
> straightforward answer would be to, well, encrypt the data stream in
> transit.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, though.
>
> -- JK

My understand is he wants something to transparently encrypt the files as he
reads them from disk so they end up encrypted on the disk of the remote
host.  Duplicity uses gpg as it goes, so it should meet that goal.  My only
concern with duplicity is that it apparently creates tarballs in /tmp before
encrypting, which is a no-no to me since my /tmp is not encrypted, though
I'm considering doing a cryptoswap-style /tmp (random key generated on
boot).

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE
System Administrator/Developer