[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Thu Feb 4 10:35:32 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:

> With encfs, I think the norm is for the files to be encrypted,
> and encfs gives you a decrypted filesystem "view" of those files.
> By "norm", I mean that if somebody boots your computer but
> can't run encfs with your password, they see the encrypted files.
>
> But I'd like the opposite: A filesystem that gives me an encrypted
> view of the files that are lying unencrypted on my Linux host or
> MacBook.  That way I can rdiff-backup the encrypted view to an
> less trusted remote location, and I can continue to use my filesystem
> as it is (only sensitive files are encrypted) for normal use.

I mainly use LUKS because at the time I started encrypting filesystems, it
was there and it was stable.  Too much of a pain to redo my encryption setup
securely.

Anyway, take a look at duplicity (http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/).  It
uses GPG to encrypt data as it transfers it, and it can transfer only deltas
or full backups (via rdiff).  I'm probably going to be using that for my
backups.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE
System Administrator/Developer