[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Feb 4 09:31:42 EST 2010

On 2/4/2010 7:08 AM, Ed Cashin wrote:

> With encfs, I think the norm is for the files to be encrypted,
> and encfs gives you a decrypted filesystem "view" of those files.
> By "norm", I mean that if somebody boots your computer but
> can't run encfs with your password, they see the encrypted files.
>
> But I'd like the opposite: A filesystem that gives me an encrypted
> view of the files that are lying unencrypted on my Linux host or
> MacBook.  That way I can rdiff-backup the encrypted view to an
> less trusted remote location, and I can continue to use my filesystem
> as it is (only sensitive files are encrypted) for normal use.

I assume the "less trusted remote location" at least has enough
security in place (via an encrypted filesystem or whatever) to
satisfy you.  So the issue must be security during transport.
Use rsync over SSH, or an encrypted tunnel for whatever sync
tool you prefer.

-- JK

--
We Americans are a freedom-loving people, and nothing says "freedom"
like Getting Away With It. -- Guy Forsyth, "Long Long Time"