[ale] Personal Backup Strategies?

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Feb 4 09:08:03 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Robert <rs at ale.spam.futz.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:53:24PM -0500, David Tomaschik wrote:
>> Rsync might be viable, but I suppose the files are unencrypted (excluding
>> the SSH tunnel) in transfer -- rsyncing the raw LVM probably results in way
>> too much overhead.  Guess it's another place to setup LUKS-crypt.
>
> This is why I use encfs instead of LUKS... encfs is a fuse mount over
> a regular filesystem which has the encrypted files. I rsync that to
> my remote sites..

With encfs, I think the norm is for the files to be encrypted,
and encfs gives you a decrypted filesystem "view" of those files.
By "norm", I mean that if somebody boots your computer but
can't run encfs with your password, they see the encrypted files.

But I'd like the opposite: A filesystem that gives me an encrypted
view of the files that are lying unencrypted on my Linux host or
MacBook.  That way I can rdiff-backup the encrypted view to an
less trusted remote location, and I can continue to use my filesystem
as it is (only sensitive files are encrypted) for normal use.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/