[ale] One 'cron' question, one 'postfix' question

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 3 15:08:30 EST 2010

ALErs -

1. "cron" question:

I have an '/etc/cron.daily' entry which launches a script and redirects
its 'stdout' and 'stderr' output to harmless '/tmp' files. The script
takes 10-15 minutes to run. (It checks out quite a bit of source code,
builds serveral targets, and reports its successes and failures.)

My question: Should my 'cron.daily' entry launch that script into
background so no other task waits on its completion, or does the 'cron'
manager do this automatically?

2. "postfix" question:
I'm configuring 'postfix' in a new ubuntu-9.04 box and I want it to send
non-localhost mail through an external SMTP server. In
'/etc/postfix/main.cf' I put my local hostname as 'myhostname' and the
external SMTP server as 'relayhost'. I don't seem to be getting mail out
of my system, but I'm not receiving inbound traffic (including 'bounce'
messages, naturally) either.

My question: How can I sort this out?

TIA.

  - Mills