[ale] UNR Install Issue

Omar Chanouha ofosho at gatech.edu
Mon Feb 1 01:28:33 EST 2010

My buddy is trying to install UNR 9.10 on an Asus EEE PC. He made the
usb stick using linuxliveusb.com. When the stick boot he gets to the
menu and clicks install. Everything seems normal until the partitioner
loads. His hard drive is not listed as a potential candidate for
installing ubuntu. The only thing that shows up is the USB stick. So I
walked him through manually partitioning the HD. Both the HD and the
stick appear in the partition table, which is unusual in my
experience. After the install begins the partitioner gives an error
"Unable to unmount partitions currently in use /cdrom".

What I think is happening is the partitioner is treating the USB stick
as the primary HD, and when it wants to partition the actual HD it
tries to unmount both the stick and the HD. Unfortunatley the stick is
mounted as /cdrom and this causes an obvious issue.

Any ideas on how to get UNR to recognize that the stick is the CD and
the primary HD is the one on the netbook? Bios issue maybe?

Thanks!

-O