[ale] KDE mis-behavior

rhia rhiannen at atlantacon.org
Thu Dec 30 00:21:56 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 19:00 -0500, Drifter wrote:
> Just finished an update and rebooted. In all, 94 updates, including
> the kernel ( 2.6.34.7-66.fc13.x86_64 x86_64)
>
> Weirdness ensued.

Probably not anything at all helpful ...
but

I run Gentoo (Enlightenment as my window manager, with bare bones Gnome
and a few KDE apps riding on top) and did an emerge world update earlier
today (120+ updates) with different but, if you REALLY stretch the
definition, somewhat similar weirdness.

Lots of annoying idiosyncrasies requiring numerous adjustments; system
didn't remember the basics, but held onto the minor details. Window
manager and various applications held onto some information, but not
all.
-Manager forgot my desktop settings, but remembered my preferences.
-Applications forgot my irc servers and channels, or timezone, or (well,
lots of various apps forgot lots of ... odd ... things) but remembered
my nicks and other preferences.
-And so on.... and on ... and on.

Irritating bordering on bizarre at times, but, considering the
hybridized bastardization of my system, I hadn't really thought about it
being beyond my system's idiosyncrasies until I read your email. Updates
included mostly X with some KDE and Gnome. Honestly, I still think my
set up had more to do with the issues I ran across, but ..... always
open to hearing other ideas.
Before anyone makes comments, I'm fully aware Gentoo is quite different
from Ubuntu - I've installed and run numerous distros. Almost didn't say
anything at all because they are so different on so many levels, but the
coincidental timing caught my attention.

All back to normal now, but, I haven't seen this before the latest
updates either.

Maybe it is just holiday elves. =)

rhia