[ale] Fw: VirtualBox

wolf at wolfhalton.info wolf at wolfhalton.info
Wed Dec 29 06:21:22 EST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com>
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
Subject: Re: [ale] Fw: VirtualBox
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 00:52:26 -0500

On 12/22/2010 07:13 PM, wolf at wolfhalton.info wrote:
> How much heat can Virt-manager handle?  How many processors does it need
> to have to spin out instances?  How many processors can it reasonably
> handle?  I am specifically looking for a VM Manager that can handle half
> a terabyte of ram and over 400 gpu processors (nVidia Tesla) and maby 20
> to 40 TB of storage...

You can pass through pci devices to virtual machines using libvirt and
kvm, but... Does 400 gpu procesors = 400 pci-e cards? I'm not sure how
you would fit or provide power to all that in a single box, or where
you're going to get the few hundred thousand dollars it would cost. If
you're planning a project that will cost this much, I'd call up a few
hardware vendors and red hat for answers.

You might be interested in this whitepaper. It talks about running KVM
on a box with 48 cores and 512GB of RAM.

"Scale-up Virtualization with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 on an HP
ProLiant DL785 G6 (=256 guests)"

http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhel/HP-DL785-KVM-scaling-v1.pdf

--> The nVidia Tesla chip has 480 cores on a single PCI
Thanks for the HP / Ref Hat link

--=-+23p20edNQoUvP+uP6E4

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
-----Original Message-----<BR>
<B>From</B>: Brian Pitts &lt;<A HREF="mailto:Brian%20Pitts%20%3cbrian at polibyte.com%3e">brian at polibyte.com</A>&gt;<BR>
<B>Reply-to</B>: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts &lt;ale at ale.org&gt;<BR>
<B>To</B>: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts &lt;<A HREF="mailto:Atlanta%20Linux%20Enthusiasts%20%3cale at ale.org%3e">ale at ale.org</A>&gt;<BR>
<B>Subject</B>: Re: [ale] Fw: VirtualBox<BR>
<B>Date</B>: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 00:52:26 -0500<BR>
<BR>
<PRE>
&gt; How much heat can Virt-manager handle?  How many processors does it need
&gt; to have to spin out instances?  How many processors can it reasonably
&gt; handle?  I am specifically looking for a VM Manager that can handle half
&gt; a terabyte of ram and over 400 gpu processors (nVidia Tesla) and maby 20
&gt; to 40 TB of storage...
&gt;

You can pass through pci devices to virtual machines using libvirt and
kvm, but... Does 400 gpu procesors = 400 pci-e cards? I'm not sure how
you would fit or provide power to all that in a single box, or where
you're going to get the few hundred thousand dollars it would cost. If
you're planning a project that will cost this much, I'd call up a few
hardware vendors and red hat for answers.

You might be interested in this whitepaper. It talks about running KVM
on a box with 48 cores and 512GB of RAM.

&quot;Scale-up Virtualization with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 on an HP
ProLiant DL785 G6 (=256 guests)&quot;

<A HREF="http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhel/HP-DL785-KVM-scaling-v1.pdf">http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhel/HP-DL785-KVM-scaling-v1.pdf</A>

The nVidia Tesla chip has 480 cores on a single PCI
Thanks for the HP / Ref Hat link

</PRE>
<BR>
</BODY>