[ale] :Best way to set up 2nd monitor

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Dec 28 21:30:26 EST 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:03:16 -0500
Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com> wrote:

> One more dumb question. Am I correct in assuming that the only way
> that I can get more than one video device based on ATI to work is
> with the proprietary Catalyst drivers, and the oss radeon driver
> won't work?

We have a laptop here running two displays.  It has a Radeon X1400 and
is using the open source driver.  The last time I checked, which might
have been almost two years ago, the Catalyst driver didn't support
adding displays after the x server is already up and running.  The open
source driver can add and remove displays on the fly.

Pat