[ale] Thermite party

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Tue Dec 28 19:27:32 EST 2010

I used to run in a crowd that every summer hosted a watermelon launch.
There were three categories:  manual delivery, mechanical delivery and
the unlimited class.  I entered under unlimited, usually with some form
of a large missile delivery system.  An engineer/pilot buddy of mine
built them out as RC cruise missiles...it got "stupid" (but fun) in a
hurry.  We even had a "Miss Melons" Contest...lots of fun and old days
and friends that I miss.....

The last year that we held one (the last year that I went) was 1986 and
we had about 5,000 spectators on hand (including the fire department).

I too agree that it would be good to keep this simple...too many people
these days and we'll all find ourselves on a government watch list.  : )
I just think it could be fun to responsibly light-off some old HDDs to
render them inoperable thus safely disposing of the data.

RinL