[ale] Slightly Off Topic - Linux/Internet aboad Royal Carribean?

John Pilman jcpilman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 13:36:29 EST 2010

We'll be traveling on Holland America - here's the information we recently
received about wifi:
-------------------------------------
WiFi
Holland America offers WiFi onboard. It's available in virtually all of the
cabins and most of the public spaces throughout the ship. The least
expensive (by the per-minute charge) package you can purchase onboard is 250
minutes for $103.95 (that's over $0.41 per minute). They also offer,
onboard, 100 minutes for $78.95. If you're looking to save a few bucks, I
can get the following Wifi internet plans for you:
250-minute plan at $90 ($0.37 per minute)
500-minute plan at $140 ($0.28 per minute)
      1,000-minute plan at $240 ($0.24 per minute)
Plus a $3.95 credit-card processing fee.

Yes, it's expensive ... their excuse is it's "over satellite." That's pretty
lame. Sadly, the internet provider on any cruise ship has a monopoly. If you
want to use the internet onboard a cruise ship, one is stuck using the one
and only supplier the cruise line provides.

Please let me know if you'd like one of these plans no later than December
1. These must be ordered in bulk, are prepaid (no refunds for any unused
minutes) and our order will be placed on December 1 -- which means you can
not get these after December 1 or onboard the ship.

If you're addicted to the internet, you'll want a 500- or 1000-minute
package. Trust me on this.

...John