[ale] Best way of setting up a 2nd monitor.

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 11:26:35 EST 2010

On 12/28/2010 09:48 AM, Greg Clifton wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I haven't really been looking for them myself, but I have noticed that
> Newegg carries them see the link below.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021158&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL122610&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL122610-_-EMC-122610-Index-_-AudioVideoCables-_-82021158-L015C
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021158&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL122610&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL122610-_-EMC-122610-Index-_-AudioVideoCables-_-82021158-L015C>
>
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com
> <mailto:skotchman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/26/2010 05:06 PM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>     >
>     > For your longer run I would suggest using a DVI to HDMI cable. The
>     > digital is more tolerant than the analog VGA. But, before you buy a
>     > long cable, try your tv out and make sure it doesn't overscan. I
>     have
>     > a sharp that always overscans the HDMI but not the VGA.
>     >
>     >
>     Richard, did you ever work out your overscan issue with your Sharp? I
>     seem to have the same issue on my VIZIO when I tested it with HDMI.

Too bad it doesn't come in 30ft. At least Newegg doesn't have anything
more than 15ft, which is out of stock. I did get a dual video card going
at least on the initial boot. Found another BIOS setting that was kind
of hidden that enable a feature they call surround view. It causes the
BIOS to switch the PCIe card as the primary video and the integrated
video chip is the secondary. BIOS boot goes to primary and GRUB menu
also to primary. The GUI prompt for passphrase goes to the secondary and
the keyboard seems to only affect the primary so I was able to switch to
character mode on the boot on the primary, and log in on that. Meanwhile
the 2nd video is still showing the GUI prompt for the passphrase. I
think I have to install Catalyst which means switching from oss driver
"radeon" to proprietary ati drivers.