[ale] interesting salary data posted by Red Hat

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 12:01:45 EST 2010

Must have been phone support for windows home users.

When I was first tier HPUX/Solaris support at HP in 2001 we got around
$28/hr (which was _really_ good for the several bozos in the team who didn't
know how to change a password much less build and mount a raid array). Night
shift got a bit more. That sucked for first shift who had to clean up after
3rd shift screw-ups.

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner at water.com>wrote:

> I got that $12/hr figure from a head hunter back in 2002 who was asking
> me to apply for a night job doing phone support for HP.   When I replied
> that he couldn't get anyone good for even twice that for a day job he
> responded that he does get people all the time.  To me that explained
> why HP phone support first level was so clueless at the time.  I'm sure
> by now they've raised it to $12.25 or so...

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.