[ale] starting network in Kubuntu

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 07:48:15 EST 2010

I unexpectedly hosed my KDE setup in Kubuntu in trying to resolve some
dependencies. This would be a solvable problem, but I have no X session
available with KDE dead. And I don't have a network connection at the
command prompt...not even if I plug in ethernet directly. Here are some
things I have tried:

ifup eth0
ifup ath0
ifup wlan0
start networking
start network-manager
dhclient

None of this leads to any connection. In the old days, I had a connection
automatically on starting. Now, nothing seems to happen until someone logs
in to an X session. How can I get my network connection?