[ale] Which large capacity drives are you having the best luck with?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 11:22:32 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Richard Faulkner
<rfaulkner at 34thprs.org> wrote:
<snip>
> Question for Greg...
>
> I do not have storage-fixup.conf in FC12....neither do I see it available in
> package
> manager.  Where is a safe source to get it?

The official repo is:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tj/storage-fixup.git

And you can look through the list of problem drives by looking at:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tj/storage-fixup.git;a=blob;f=storage-fixup.conf;h=711813339730325cf3ffe4b67af45c83d7f90fbc;hb=refs/heads/master

Lots of drives in there, but WDC seems over represented and theirs are
the only ones I've seen actually trigger application failure due to
failed writes.  (the problem is the drives in this list park the heads
excessively and thus can be very slow to respond to i/o activity.  If
it takes too long, the kernel can error out the i/o and user space is
often not prepared to handle a read or write failure gracefully.)

If you have a drive in the list, then with Fedora I can't help.  (I
don't know how you would cause storage-fixup to be called during boot
and resume under Fedora.)

(I'm surprised Fedora doesn't have this packaged.  Suse, Ubuntu, and
Arch all do.)

Greg