[ale] facebook hacked? (Again....)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 08:39:58 EST 2010

YOU"RE STILL AROUND, just 'cross the country!!!! Long time no hear :-)

You have very clearly voiced my exact sentiment about social networking sans
one privacy issue: once it hits the web, it is forever there. For me, social
activities benefit by the fog of fading memory. It lessens the sharpness of
a harsh comment and heightens the importance of a good event.

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM, rhia <rhiannen at atlantacon.org> wrote:

> Long time, no type. We're all the way over in the NW of the good ol' USA
> so most of the Atlanta centric issues are out of our ability to
> physically interact. Credentials to those who don't remember me: Geek,
> tech, early adopter, linux user, etcetera and so on (but that really
> doesn't matter.)
>
> A perspective not delved deeply into yet: privacy, security, and all the
> additional identity theft issues. It is a concern, although I don't go
> further into it below, but it still is a valid concept to at least
> consider.
>
> I made a personal choice to not use MySpace, or FaceBook, or Twitter or
> their ilk for a few reasons. To clarify, the following is My Personal
> Opinion on My Personal Choice. It is NOT to say someone with a different
> opinion is wrong.
>
> 1.) I'm intensely private. Oh, I've done a lot of public stuff, some of,
> maybe even most of which could come about with some time and search
> ability, but I see no need to post daily boring personal details to
> sites that can 'forget' I set it to private, or collect data (sometimes
> in very sneaky ways) that is embarrassingly easy to access, or just in
> general because new upper management moved in or whatever.
>
> 2.) Closely tied to number one: I, personally, just don't see the need
> to tell the world (even the supposedly private world of just my
> "friends") everything that happens on a daily basis. I especially don't
> feel that need if some site standing to gain financially from my usage
> is the one deciding if their idea of private coincides with my idea of
> private - even though they state their stance upfront - which may change
> tomorrow, next month, or 5 minutes after I agree to their terms of
> service.
>
> 3.) As has been shown in various places on-line (easily searched), it
> can be surprisingly easy to make such "private" material "accidentally"
> not so private anymore.
>
> 4.) It is a rough economy and a tough job market. Do I really want a
> potential employer to see what my "friends" might say, even if said
> friends thought they were "just being funny" if it might cost me my job?
> (Not really, no, not to me, just not worth it.)
>
> 5.) If someone is in my past, there is probably a really good reason
> they are in my past and not my present. (I have mentioned that this is
> my personal opinion, right?)
>
> 6.) A long time ago my mother used to ask me "If all your friends jump
> off a bridge, does that mean you will too?" IOW, just because a majority
> of people have adopted it doesn't automatically make it a good thing.
> Expedient and or convenient maybe, but not necessarily "good."
>
> I do have a blog, (well, a sort of blog, that anyone looking to "A-HA!
> me on can easily find) that I use occasionally to post pictures or
> comments to friends and family, then eventually remove the post once I'm
> sure they've seen it. I just don't have the belief that my pictures of
> [...]

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.